Thursday, June 02, 2005

White Buffalo ~ Poem by Eros

White Buffalo

"I see you in the infinite pattern of the stars reflected -
Life upon life in a rolling thunder clap across the plains -"
This is what White Buffalo told me at our chance encounter.
Lolling his huge shaggy head to the left, he regarded me with his lively blue
eye.
"Eagle has seen from the sky, Gila has heard in the ground, salmon feels in the
river that the end is soon at hand."
I pondered on this a moment.
"Why?" I asked of my giant, alabaster-haired companion.
"The pale-face has destroyed the Human Beings and the Buffalo tribes; the Kiowa
woman, she saw the buffalo go.
I stayed behind to warn you,
And now I must be off..."
With that, the last of the living totems
Tore off into the mists of time, fire dancing at his hooves,
Cracking the opals of infinity,
To join his clans in the mountain; an exaltation of larks took wing.
His Medicine lost to the world of the White Man forever.

The woman who begat the world
Opened her mouth and Death jumped out.



No comments: